Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Inventory Management

I spent two weeks at NECI's Central Purchasing location to learn about ordering, receiving, and inventory management. This is an important part of running a food business because you don't want to order so much that you have stuff sitting on shelves...it costs money to store things.

We also learned about sustainable agriculture and did a report on a local producer. I visited Doe's Leap, a local farm that makes yummy organic goat milk cheeses. They also raise organic pork, chicken, and cows. It is a small company now with about 25 goats run by a very nice young couple. They were kind enough to take time out of their Saturday afternoon to show me around the farm and take me through their cheese house. I purchased some of their cheeses at the local coop and had a tasting along with my presentation.

No comments: